Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fingers crossed.

It's been a while since my last post, mainly because there's not a lot new to report. Last Wednesday I had my blood drawn, Thursday had chemo, Friday my Neulasta shot. Spent the next week dealing with the side effects: hiccups, heartburn, full-body firefly nerve pain, metallic taste buds, intestinal distress, life-sucking fatigue. Thanks to the 7.5 mG of coumadin I'm taking each day my blood is finally thin enough to start breaking up the clot that is still there making my arm sore, causing my veins to create that blue road map across my shoulder.

I am so ready for this to be over.

The good news is I've finished my 6th treatment (that's 3 cycles of ABVD), and I'm at the mark where I get more scans. I have a CT scan on Monday. PrayPrayPray that it's all gone, that there's nothing more in my neck or my chest, that I don't have to see a 7th or 8th treatment. That I don't have to have radiation, that I don't have to put my body at risk for future cancer at the radiated sites. That I can get back to work and stop poisoning myself, that my hair can start growing back, that I can start waking up each day feeling good, feeling like I can accomplish something. 

And about accomplishing something. I've decided that in the next year I will run a marathon. I've been researching how to train for one, and I know I can do it. I can see myself crossing that finish line, cancer free, my worst days behind me. I need to do everything in my power to mold my body into a strong, healthy environment no cancer can beat. Wish me luck—training might be worse than the chemo!

Love you all, 

Tara

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll train with you girl.
whatever it takes!

-Lauren

Jessica said...

And I'll be at the finish line cheering you on! I know you can do it! Michael can send you some training schedule stuff to look through.
Praying that all goes well this week! Love you tons!v

Michael said...

What marathon are you considering? I hear the Cincinnati Marathon is a great one. I'm so excited. Running a marathon was one of the accomplishments that I hold dear to my heart. Beat cancer one year and run a marathon the next. We'll put a crown on your head and call you Queen.

Anonymous Traveler said...

Oh my gosh. We are hoping that your tests go well! We love you! I think the marathon thing is a great idea. Wish I was there to train with you! I have always wanted to run a marathon, but haven't even done a 5K yet! Ooh. Baby steps for me! That is such a great accomplishment, though. I am so proud of you. I know you can do it!!!

jen

Melanie said...

I was serious about my offer.—I've never done a marathon, but I am willing to give it a try.

Hopefully your test go great today and we can get started!

Corri said...

I will definetly be cheering you on also - no matter what the goal! Hang in there and call me if you need/want anything or nothing at all!
Love you!

Anonymous Traveler said...

Kuala Lumpur International Marathon: March 29, 2009.......

Jill Ann said...

Congrats on the last treatment. Do keep us posted. I've been checking on ya non stop. Since the hospital pix...I was really worried. But, I am betting cancer is dead.!!! Still your wig hair is BEAUTIFUL!! (You can sell it to me one day??)

And, great choice on a marathon!! Nashville is a LOT of funn.....!!!