Thursday, May 22, 2008

I (heart) Ativan.


Pic: Doc extracted bone and marrow  from my hip with this corkscrew-like torture device.

Left work mid-day to go get bone sucked out of my body. Yes! Went to go pick Graham up, and popped my first Ativan (AKA the date rape drug). Right away I started feeling warm and loopy, like I'd had a couple drinks. I started telling what I considered to be really funny jokes as Graham drove me to the appointment. 

We arrived, and per doc's instruction, took the second Ativan as I sat in the waiting room. I began singing Johnny and June's "Time's a Wastin'" and Graham chimed in. Nice. Needless to say, I was well prepared for my bone marrow biopsy, the test that would let me know if the cancer has spread to my marrow, indicating stage 4 Hodgkin's.

Finally, the nurse called us back to the room, and asked me to lie on the paper-covered table. She turned me sideways and held me down. Doc numbed me with three bee-sting sticks, then proceeded with the marrow extraction. Holy hell. Think about how it would feel to have a wine corkscrew taking out a piece of your bone like it were a cork. That's exactly how it felt, and actually, that's very close to what was happening—the nurse showed me afterward the tool he used. Yep, a corkscrew concealed inside a sharp, hollow tube. Yes, I was numb, but I could still sense the crank-crank-crank as the doc said sorry-sorry-sorry after my every yelp. But in 20 minutes it was over, they bandaged me up, and Graham and I were on our way.

I slept peacefully in the car thanks to my new friend Ativan. Barely remembered a thing by the time we got home. Graham had to remind me that during the procedure that the doctor's cell went off, blasting "Love in an Elevator" throughout the room. The doc laughed mid-crank and said, "Oh, that's my wife." Ew.

Anyway, the worst test is over, and I can still walk and wiggle. CT of the pelvis and pulmonary tests tomorrow morning. Those shouldn't be too bad at all.

Love you all.

Tara

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for posting, Tara. I was wondering how yesterday went. I'm glad that's behind you--and that Ativan helped! Hope today goes smoothly and you get to enjoy the holiday weekend afterward. Love you! xoxo

Jessica said...

So I need to know, were there other people in the waiting room?

Anonymous Traveler said...

Im all about love in an elevator......gooooiiinnnnggg dooooowwwwnnnnnnn.

Tara and Graham said...

Yes, Jessica, there were other people in the waiting room! :) The joys of Ativan!