Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chemo a no-go.

I went to Dr. Gaeke's office Thursday afternoon to have my blood drawn to make sure my body had recovered from round one, was strong enough for round two. Now that my port is in, it's not an ordeal to find a vein, but being stuck with the needle still hurts. The vein they used for my port is buried pretty deep, so when they punch through to hit the head of the port, they still have to go through layers, I still need to grip the sides of the chair, turn my head, close my eyes. Not fun. They drew the blood and prepped me for chemo by leaving the needle and a small tube in place. At least I wouldn't have to be stuck again on Friday.

Got a call Friday morning as I was getting ready to leave for chemo. I was packing my bag with the Godfather trilogy my folks had brought the day before when the phone rang. It was Kim telling me my white blood cell count is too low for chemo but that I still needed to go to the office to be "deaccessed," meaning they needed to take the needle and tubes out. So I left for Middletown.

When I got there, Kim elaborated. She said my count was at 900 and they like to see at least 1200, and that it's nothing to worry about and there's nothing I can do to boost my numbers. Just wait. I went into the little room so the nurse could flush my port with Hepron, an anticoagulent, which would keep the blood flowing in and out of my port. She flushed it, pulled the needle out, and stuck a little round band-aid on my chest. She sent me on my way, said they'd give me a call this week to set up chemo for Thursday (they're closed Friday for July 4th).

On one hand I'm glad to have a few more days of feeling well, but really I'm sorry to delay chemo. Sorry to delay the day I'm cancer free. But I know that day will be here soon.

Graham's parents made a trip up from Florida to visit with us this weekend. While we were all sitting around drinking coffee Saturday morning, I reached back to run my fingers through my bed head and came back with about 30 hairs in my hand. I reached back again. Ten more. I started tearing up and Brenda, Graham's mom, leaned over and gave me a big hug. Since then, hair has been falling out in my hands, on my shirt. Just a few hairs at a time, though. Not clumps. But I'll probably have to shave my melon before chemo on Thursday. We'll see. Deanna is standing by to take pictures, I think Graham will do the deed. He asked if I wanted him to shave his head, but his curly 'fro brings me too much joy. I just would hate to be without his locks, too. 

So, until Wednesday when I need to go back to Dr. Gaeke's to have my blood drawn, I will just enjoy a few days of feeling well. I'll organize my closets. Try a few recipes. Take some walks. Focus on the healing ahead.

Love you all.

Tara

4 comments:

Jill Ann said...

I don't know you...but I found your blog from the TN tri guy. I love that you are blogging about all this. My friend in TN has breast cancer...Stage 3, with 3 small kids (one under 1yr old). So, it helps me to read what you're going through...and to pray for both you and Kendall.

I know it's really hard. You're fighting the fight and doing it well. Either way, it's not fair.

I will continue to read and think about you...

J

Jessica said...

Glad you have a few days of feeling well. Know that I'm thinking of you all the time.
You guys are so stinkin' sweet and I think you are both making the best of this situation. As always, let me know if you need anything =)

Love ya, miss ya, prayin' for ya!

Anonymous said...

Rebekah and I shaved my moms head... without the pictures that memory is gone, too..... Enjoy the next few days :)

Corri said...

You are the strongest person I know. Love you.