Friday, July 11, 2008

Chemo sucks.

I'm having a really hard time with the chemo. Here's a breakdown of how the days after go:

Thursday: Chemo
Friday: Feel fine
Saturday: Start feeling slight nerve pain toward end of day
Sunday: Completely out of commission; on the couch all day with pulses of sharp, piercing nerve pain
Monday: Same story
Tuesday: Start to feel a little better, but stomach starts liquefying everything that hits it
Wednesday: Nerve pain gone, but still have diarrhea, stomach cramps, and very sexy gas
Thursday: Feel pretty good, normality on the horizon

So, Wednesday I finally got over the nerve pain and went out with my cousin Libby for breakfast. (Wore the wig. Lordy, it's hot. Bandanas are gonna have to be an option. Or nothing at all, I guess. Anyway.) Tolerated the stomach issues pretty well all day, and was happy to be feeling back to my old self. Then night hit. That numb patch on my thigh started spreading to a band that reaches from my rear to my groin, and instead of numbness, it felt like someone is poking me with scalding hot needles. I did not sleep at all that night. I called my doctor at 5:30 a.m. in total pain, and she called a prescription in for a patch that numbs the skin. I took off that minute to the 24-hour Walgreens to pick it up. The lady at the drive-through window had to deal with my sobbing as she tried to explain details about the patch. I was tired, in pain, and just fed up that I have to be dealing with this. 

When I got home, I put on the patch and felt a little relief. I crashed in exhaustion on the couch for two hours, and when I woke up, I Googled all I could about this nerve pain I'm feeling. Found it. Peripheral Neuropathy, which is caused by the "V" in ABVD, Vinblastine. Symptoms are piercing pain, heavy arms (feeling that, too), muscle weakness (yep). Pain lasts sometimes months after chemo is over, the website said. Hell no. I called Dr. Gaeke's office for an appointment to discuss what I'd read with her. I just can't deal with this for months. 

When I got to the office, I was a basket case. No sleep does that to me. I just cry. And cry. The nurse took me to the little room and asked me about my symptoms, and I went through four Kleenexes crying and blowing my nose like a nutcase. I'm just frustrated. Everybody's telling me I'm strong and I'll get through this, but it's so hard to feel strong when pain is taking over my body, my life. I'm home from work and don't have the health to do a load of laundry. Graham is taking such good care of me, and he comes home to a sink full of dishes. I feel so guilty. The nurse listened compassionately as I explained all of this with-pathetic-on-top. Ugh. 

Dr. Gaeke came in with a binder outlining cancer researchers' guidelines about how to deal with Hodgkin's. She was looking for any alternative to get me out of chemo as soon as possible. She said she's never had a Hodgkin's patient react with such nerve problems. I asked if my dosage was correct, she said they triple check, and yes, it's correct. I asked if it'd be possible to leave the "V" out of my treatment, a solution I read about online. She said no, she doesn't want to stray from the prescribed regimen. For the meantime she prescribed an anticonvulsant that should help with my nerves and said that instead of six chemo treatments, we'll try four plus radiation. So that means I'm half finished. As I left, I apologized for calling so early. She said she was sorry if she sounded groggy on the phone and to call anytime. 

I really don't know how I feel about cutting the chemo treatments by a third. I am having a very hard time with the treatment, that's for sure. But I don't want to drag things out, either. The ultimate goal is to get rid of the cancer, right? Will radiation be any better than chemo?

Please keep me in prayer. As I write, my thigh is pulsing with pain, my stomach is in a knot. Been feeling lately like if cancer won't kill me, then chemo surely will. I know I need to stay positive, but this week it's been especially difficult.

Love you all.

Tara

6 comments:

Corri said...

I will be praying for you and your doctors that they can figure something out. No one should have to feel like that. I know it is hard to stay positive, but you are strong and that is why we keep telling you that.
I love the pictures that Deanna took. I think it is pretty hard to look good with a mohawk but with your beautiful face - it looks really good! With the shaved head - it just makes your gorgeous eyes pop even more. If possible, I think you look even more beautiful. I also really love the wig (although I'm sure it is uncomfortable to wear) - it looks hot and feels hot! Keep strong. Lylas. :)

Anonymous said...

Father in heaven, Please comfort Tara. Please hold her and help all this pain to pass. Thank you for the friends and family who support her and love her. Help her to continue to feel supported and not alone. Give her strength and rest now when she's feeling exhausted from the pain and emotion. Father, we look forward to a time when Tara can see behind her the thing that almost did her in and the rejoicing when it's defeated and she's brought closer to you. Thank you Father for your love.

Michael said...

I'm sending you a big hug from 350 miles away. Keep fighting and leaning on God, family and friends.

Love you

Greg Holder said...

I wish I could make it all go away. You're always in my prayers, Tara.

Emily said...

I hope you're feeling better this week, Tara. We're all thinking about you and praying for you every single day. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help--housework, distraction, listening, whatever!

xoxo

Tam said...

Hi Tara... I read you're taking shots to keep your white blood cell count up, me too. Is it Nepogen or Nulastra? (got to be something similar)
Anyways, I know you thought it might be the "V" chemical, but I had the same reaction when I started the shots for growing cells (chemo2). It was an invisible burning, pins and needles itch-but not an itch around my mid section in a concentrated area/patch. I was on the phone sobbing at 3am with nurses and in the hospital at 6am begging for someone to put me outta my misery. (serious codeine)
The second time it happened it was on my foot? Resolved it by cutting back from 5 daily shots to 3 and found spacing them out a day or two helped. (counts are still ok with less)(Or my body got used to it, or it was the "V"... and I got used to it)
Hasn't happened since, just did round 5 of 16 chemos. Crossing my fingers that you never get it again!!!