Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Here it comes.

Well, it's Wednesday, and my leg is on fire, my body flashing with pain. Seems this round the side effects took a little longer to creep up on me.

Last week my leg pain had dulled to a numbness, but Thursday night after chemo it started flaring up with intense pins-and-needles pain again. That was about the only side effect I felt until yesterday when the firefly nerve pain began. Made it tough to sleep. This morning, the pain is just about unbearable. I've taken a steroid, two Darvocet, and the gabapentin for the nerves, but nothing is helping. My leg is on fire, my arms feel heavy, and the pain makes me just want to sleep it away, though it hurts so bad I can't sleep. Might make a call to Dr. Gaeke just to let her know what is going on, to see if she can think of anything else to do.

It will be a rough day, but I can make it through. I can make it through.  


3 comments:

Kacey said...

Hi Tara,

This is Kacey, your old co-worker. I wish I had known you were going through this before I left. You are handling this with incredible grace and honesty. I'll be following your story and keeping you in my thoughts.

My sister was diagnosed with stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma in November 2006 and is cancer-free today. Her chemo and radiation treatments ended just before Cinco de Mayo in 2007, so she would always talk about going out for margaritas to celebrate as soon as she was healthy. I think counting on that fun day in the future made coping with the pain of the present just a little bit easier. Maybe you already have something in mind...

My sister shared her treatment progress on CarePages.com when she was sick. I know you already have an outlet here, but you might find some comfort in reading other people's stories on that site.

I'm sure they miss your smiling face at work. Keep up the fight, and keep writing. You have fans!

Kacey

Corneice said...

Tara, Just to let you know I am still praying for you and keeping in touch. I feel like I know you personally from talking with Jessica. Hang in there. There is more than survival waiting for you out there, but for now just keep surviving! My friend has finally finished chemo and starting radiation. There is light at the end of that tunnel!

shummel said...

Hey T!
Just wanted to let you know that you've been in my prayers.... also, I was wondering what a good color might be if a piece of homemade headgear might strike my fancy ;)

Love and miss your smiling here at work!
Sara